Over the next 25 years, Clement Street becomes a hub of bustling commerce and activity. The church decides to move, purchasing two lots on California Street between 8th and 9th Avenues, the present-day location of St. James. Ground breaking commences on June 30th, with the laying of the cornerstone. The new St. James was the last church dedicated by Bishop Nichols before his death, in February, 1924.
Reverend Lee dies in 1935, and is succeeded by Harold S. Brewster, who serves until his retirement in 1947. Reverend Edward A Wicher, Jr. then spends 10 years at St. James, resigning in 1957 to head a growing parish on the San Francisco Peninsula.
The fourth rector of St. James, Max Christiansen, enjoys a very long term, serving until 1984. His many accomplishments include the founding of the St. James Early Education Center, which focuses on serving the needs of children ages 2 1/2 to 6 years old. This children’s center is now known as the St. James Preschool, an accredited, fully licensed non-profit school that has been immensely successful since its founding. Reverend Christiansen also establishes a senior citizens activities center, overseeing the purchase of two flats adjoining the church, and conducts regular neighborhood open houses.